The main function of Public Health Engineering Department is to plan, implement and maintain rural and urban water supply schemes, rural sanitation schemes.
Aims Objectives of Public Health Engineering Department
The main function of the Public Health Engineering Department is to plan, implement and main rural and urban water supply schemes, rural sanitation schemes. The district level administration of the public health engineering department undertakes field investigation, survey, data collection, preparation, execution and maintenance of schemes.
Objectives & functions of the Public Health Engineering Department
- To plan and execute water supply schemes for adequate safe drinking
- water supply to rural and urban population including schools and
- To provide sanitary facilities to the rural areas by using appropriate low·
Different Schemes implemented by PHED for Providing Drinking Water Supply
- Piped water supply scheme-: Piped water supply scheme are further sub divided into following three categories-:
- Gravity Feed Schemes- Spring/stream/river source is tapped by constructing a weir and water is conveyed by gravity to a conventional type treatment plant consisting of sedimentation tank, slow sand filter tank followed by a clear water reservoir and eventually distributed to the villagers through a network of distribution pipe lines by public stand posts/taps after disinfection by adding bleaching powder. In few schemes, rapid gravity type treatment plant or simplified treatment plants were provided. Whenever water source is a spring, treatment plants are not provided, since the quality of raw water is fit for human consumption. Few old schemes do not have treatment facility as the water source was covered with forest during implementation. However during reconstruction of such schemes, adequate treatment facility will be provided.
- River Pumping Schemes- The source is river/stream and wter is pumped to the treatment plant or intermediate sump. The treatment plant and distribution network are constructed/laid as in the gravity feed schemes.
- DTW (Deep Tube well Pumping schemes- These are same as river pumping schemes except that source is underground water, which is tapped by drilling well. Generally quality of ground water is chemically safe for all parameters except iron in some cases. Iron removal plants (IRPS) are provided to tackle presence of excess iron in drinking water, wherever required.
- Spot Sources Schemes- Spot source schemes are further sub divided into following categories-:
- Hand Pumps (HPs)- Shallow/deep bores are drilled and hand pumps are installed for providing drinking water.
- Wells- Different types of wells constructed b y the Dept. For supplying water in rural areas are-: Ring Wells- (RCC rings are put one after another till the desired level is reached), Drinking
Wells/Dug Wells- Instead of rings, stone/brick masonry is used for
lining the wells).
- STC (Spring Tapped Chamber)- In these schemes chambers are
constructed at the mouth of the spring source, to protect the spring
source from pollution.