Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) is an initiative to enable fast, secure, reliable cashless payments through your mobile phone. BHIM is based on Unified Payment Interface (UPI) to facilitate e-payments directly through bank. It is interoperable with other Unified Payment Interface (UPI) applications, and bank accounts. Unified Payment Interface (UPI) is an instant payment system built over the IMPS infrastructure and allows you to instantly transfer money between any two parties bank accounts. BHIM is developed by the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
Through Bharat Interface for Money you can make following type of transaction-:
- Request or Send Money via Payment Address
- Send Money to Aadhaar Number
- Request or Send Money to Mobile number
- Send Money through MMID, Mobile No.
- Send Money through IFSC code, Account No.
- In addition, you can use the scan and pay option for Merchant payments.
Prerequisites to use BHIM
- Smartphone with Internet access
- An Indian bank account
- Your mobile number should be linked with your bank account. For doing so, please contact your bank.
- Your account has to be UPI activated or you need to have a debit card. To know if your bank supports UPI, click here.
- Download the Bharat Interface for Money app (for Android phones), Bharat Interface for Money app (for Apple iOS phones).
How to Start BHIM App
- Download the Bharat Interface for Money app. Languages supported are Hindi and English in iOS and 9 languages in Android version.
- Verify your mobile number which is linked with your bank account, BHIM app sends an SMS to your mobile number. Grant permissions to the app for accessing the SMS on the phone.
- You have to enter this UPI-PIN to authorize all bank transactions. You can set your UPI PIN by going to Main Menu -Bank Accounts -Set UPI-PIN for the selected account. You will be prompted to enter the last 6 digits of your Debit/ATM card along with the expiry date. You will then receive an OTP which you will enter and set your UPI PIN. If you have already set up an UPI-PIN with other UPI Apps you can use the same on BHIM too.
- Set your payment address, (Payment Address is an Address which uniquely identifies a person's bank a/c.), no need for bank account number/ IFSC code, etc.
Note - Please do not share your UPI-PIN with anyone. Bharat Interface for Money does not store or read your UPI-PIN details and your bank's customer support will never ask for it.