The answer to the question, “What is the full form of ICT?” is Information Communication Technology is a term that refers to different digital communication technologies. It combines various concepts, methods, tools and their applications. It is a constantly evolving technology that facilitates efficient use and transmission of information. ICT is an umbrella term that includes every communication gadget or technology that can store, retrieve, manipulate and receive information digitally.
Characteristics of an ICT System
ICT allows acquisition, storage, manipulation, management and transmission of data and information. It gives real-time access for users to access information they may require. It allows quick, efficient exchange of the latest and updated information. It allows individuals and groups to communicate, respond, and interact with each other. It can connect professionals in physical locations that are far away from each other. ICT can adapt to new systems and technologies with ease.
Components Of An ICT System
An ICY system is a unified setup of electronic system and facilities communication between two individuals and groups who are at different places. It combines hardware, software, data, and people. It integrates each of these components to transform data into usable, accessible information. The individual components of ICT work together to input, process, output, give feedback and control the dissemination of data. The five major components of ICT are-:
1. Hardware- Hardware denotes the physical and tangible elements of an electronic system. These include input and output devices, processing units, storage devices, operating systems and output and input devices. A few examples of hardware include-:
2. Software- Software includes computer programs and applications necessary for the hardware to function. There are two major types of software - Application software and System software. Application software helps users perform a specific task like browsing, shopping or listening to music. System software includes operating systems that help the hardware function. It also include programs that support an Application software. Examples of software includes:-
3. Communication Technology- Communication Technology refers to the tools that send, receive, and process information. As technology advances, faster communication technologies become available to every market and industry. Some examples of communication technologies are-:
4. Data- data refers to a raw set of facts and statistics a business collects as part of its internal and external operations. While the raw data may not be\ useful, it becomes usable information when the business presents it in an organised manner, information cam have a meaning, context, purpose and
relevance for the business. Management can take short term and long term decisions for the benefit of a business using this information. Examples of business data are-:
5. People- People are the professional and qualified personnel who involve in designing, maintaining and operating an ICT system. Their duties include inputting and storing data, troubleshooting, training employees for using ICT systems, creating backups of valuable business information and updating licenses. This also includes professionals like system, database and network administrators who monitor and maintain an ICT system. System analysts, programmers and Chief Information Officers are other important contributors to an ICT system.