- type less BCPL programming language.
- In 1978, Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie produced the first publicly available description of C (The C Programming Language), now known as the K&R standard. Both of them added lots of features to language “C”.
- Until the early 1980s, although compilers existed for a variety of machine architectures and operating systems, the language was almost exclusively associated with Unix
- In 1989 the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) committe published a standard for C (generally called “ANSI C”)
- Today, the UNIX operating system, the C compiler, and essentially all UNIX applications programs have been written in C
Benefits of ‘C’:
1. General Purpose Language and is Easy to Learn
2. Its Procedural Programming Language.
3. It’s the best alternative to coding in Assembly language which is very tough.
4. Flexibility towards both Systems Programming and Application Programming.
5. Availability of large number of operating systems.
6. Availability of extensive library function enhancing basic functions.
Facts about C
1.Today C is the most widely used and popular System Programming Language.
2.Today’s most popular Linux OS and RBDMS MySQL have been written in C.
3.Today many languages are derived from C , examples C++, Java, C#, Objective C and many